Wednesday 12 December 2012

Almond biscuits - not bad for a by-product

After making my almond milk (it's now a weekly event) I am left with something akin to almond meal. I've been trying various ways to use the meal. I've had some rather impressive disaster experiments which I won't bother recording but my last concoction was actually quite good - not spectacular but then spectacular only comes along occasionally. As I only use 3/4 cup of almonds per batch (I found that the results of a cup of almonds went off before I finished it) I am left with about half a cup of this almond meal type stuff and most recipes I found for stuff required a cup or more.

So one night, I threw caution to the wind and decided to try making biscuits. I didn't really measure out what I was doing so the following is more of an estimate of what I did.

Ingredients

  • Almond meal stuff (based on 3/4 cup for almond milk)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp softened coconut oil
  • 1 tbsp runny honey
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1 cup all purpose gluten free flour
  • 1/4 tsp xantham gum

Method

  • Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius
  • In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients until you have a soft dough (you may need to adjust flour)
  • Ball in your hand approx 1 heaped teaspoon of dough and place on prepared tray (I put down baking paper because it means I have less to clean)
  • You'll see in the photo that there are some biscuits that are flat and with stripes. These were made when I rolled the dough into a log and wrapped in glad wrap in the fridge for about half an hour. Then I sliced the log and forked them for effect (that sounds a little wrong).
  • Chuck into the oven for 6 to 10 minutes
  • Make sure it doesn't burn on the bottom
  • Take out and let cool
  • Make a cuppa and enjoy

Result:

A cuppa is kind of important because these biscuits are a tad dry. But with a cuppa they are quite enjoyable. Certainly enough for me to make it again. I don't feel it needed any more sweetener than I had. Coconut oil is quite sweet anyway as is honey.

Verdict:

I'll definitely make these again and play around with other additives such as spices. As I know I'll be regularly in stock of the almond meal stuff I need to have a repertoire of ways to use - this is the first success I'll be adding to that repertoire.

No comments:

Post a Comment