Saturday 10 November 2012

Godzilla the macaron

I'm sorry to say that my first blog here is not a report of a stupendious success.

The recipe
The foundational recipe came from the 'Food intolerance management plan' by Dr Sue Shepherd and Dr Peter Gibson. Macarons the flourless biscuit.


Disclaimer
Let me begin by saying that I was working with less than ideal equipment. There is a lot of egg whipping required in this recipe and I do not own an electric beater. I know - that's pretty crazy right? Well not as crazy as me sitting on the couch with my one egg white in a large bowl and my practically toy sized hand whisk trying to bring the egg white into firm peaks!

Next disclaimer is that my castor sugar was that low GI stuff you get in the supermarket these days and quite frankly it tastes a little strange. With that in mind I decided to add some chai spices to the recipe (you will discover that I rarely follow a recipe to the letter). Add to all this my rather special oven that usually takes double the time to cook everything and I had the perfect foundation for ... creative mutation!

Results
Mutation is the right word because my macarons, as they cooked, migrated across the tray to create one massive Godzilla of a macaron! I don't have a photo to post unfortunately. The result was edible and a few friends got to try a bit of my Godzilla macaron and declared that it still 'tasted fine'.

Verdict
Would I try it again? Absolutely! But I would borrow my mothers electric beater, use 'normal' castor sugar and add more chai spice!


Useful links
Book : Food intolerance management plan
Chai Spice - instant chai powder (with bush spices)





No comments:

Post a Comment