Thursday 30 May 2013

Creamy buckwheat and vegetable soup

Soup is one of my favourite things about cold weather. Tonight after driving through the rain and traffic that was double the congestion as I'm used to, I set to work brewing my dinner. On my detox I am required to have protein at lunch and dinner. I had chicken soup for lunch so I wasn't keen on having the same for dinner. I didn't have any fish at home and my affinity with beans still needs some work. Then I remembered a recipe a friend of mine had graciously shared with me. Her mother's chicken soup avgolemono - Greek egg-lemon chicken soup.

In true adventurous style I tested the question, 'can you use the avgolemono in any soup?'

Ingredients

  • 1/2 carrot, peeled and chopped
  • 1/4 zucchini, chopped
  • 1 small stick celery, chopped
  • 2 large button mushrooms, sliced
  • 3 small flowerettes of broccoli, chopped
  • 1 1/2 tbsp Bob's Red Mill Creamy Buckwheat (partially stone ground buckwheat)
  • 750ml water
  • Stock powder or cube
  • Two eggs
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon

Putting it together

  • In a pot put all the vegetables (except the broccoli) in the pot with the water and stock.
  • Bring to the boil
  • Add the buckwheat and stir
  • Cover and let simmer for about 7 minutes
  • Whilst that is simmering separate your egg whites from your yolks
  • Whisk your egg whites until you have very soft peaks
  • Add your lemon juice and keep whisking
  • Add your broccoli to your soup (not the egg mixture)
  • Get a ladle and fill your ladle with the broth from your simmering soup
  • Slowly add it to your egg whites and keep whisking them for about a minute
  • Mix in the egg yolk to your egg white mixture
  • By this stage it is looking less soft peaks and more frothy egg mix
  • Making sure your soup isn't boiling, pour your egg mixture into it stirring the whole time. 
  • Keep stirring for about 30 seconds then turn off the heat.
  • Serve it up

Result

This is a protein rich, vegetable soup with the added umph of buckwheat. The flavour of lemon is delightfully tangy without being weird.  All and all, it's a winner. A complete meal in a bowl.


Verdict

This is definitely a keeper in my repertoire. You do need to watch that you don't boil the soup after you've added the egg mixture. If you do, your soup looks more like curds and whey than creamy soup. I really like the addition of the buckwheat.

Links and information

Benefits of buckwheat: Buckwheat is high in insoluble fibre and is a good source of protein and B vitamins and is rich in phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, iron, and calcium.
Learn more about buckwheat and its nutritional benefits

Bob's Red Mill products can be found and select supermarkets like IGAs or Leo's. They are also usually stocked at health food stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment