Saturday 8 June 2013

Juicing for detox

I've been doing well on my detox for the past three weeks and am now at the stage of doing my two day juice fast. To be honest I'm not really sure that juice fasting is ideal for my body so with the guidance of my naturopath I am doing my first day with only juices and my second day will be mostly juices. But that's not why I'm writing this post.

I wanted to share a common juice to aid the body in detoxifying. I say common because it's often found at Boost Juice bars and other juicing places. The key detoxifying ingredients are celery and beetroot.

Ingredients

  • Beetroot
  • Carrot
  • Celery (including some leaves)
  • Orange, lemon or pineapple
  • Cucumber
  • Ginger
  • Water


Putting it together

Look at that beautiful collection of vegetables and fruit. All certified organic and bursting with goodness.
  • The quantities you see there are exactly what I used (well, aside from the huge chunk of ginger and the whole orange and beetroot added to the image for effect)
  • I use a cold press juicer. My juicer is a Oscar Vital Max. The cold pressed method means that the juice retains its nutrients and enzymes and in my experience you get more juice out of less vegetables and fruit. It's also really easy to clean which certainly gets my vote. To learn more about this type of juicer you can visit Vitality4Life.
  • As with any juicer the method is basically to put your vegetables and fruit and let the juicer do the work. I use certified organic and juice them with skins on (all but the orange peel)
  • Add the water at the end. Water is important because fresh juice is quite strong especially if you have something like beetroot in it. 
  • Pour it into a glass and drink within half an hour for maximum benefit.

Result

It has an impressive colour and it tastes pretty good. Be aware that with a cold pressed juicer you get more juice from the whole food - so be sparing with your ginger if you're not too fond of it. I love it so my juice was darn spicy! 










1 comment:

  1. Definitely a delicious juice.

    This is what I order at my local little cafe every Saturday morning (minus the cucumber - but I'll add that in next time), and I absolutely love it. In my ignorance/naivety, I didn't know it was known as a detox juice... I was just going for taste :-)

    ReplyDelete