Thursday 20 June 2013

Dandelion Root Detox Brew

As the temperature drops, drawing closer to the longest night of the year, I seek warm earthy drinks that compliment my detox. One of the best herbs/plants for detoxing the liver and aiding digestion is dandelion. The root especially has strong detox benefits. You can buy roasted dandelion root at most health food stores but if you want to keep it in it's most beneficial form please choose one that is not sweetened. A brand I know well is Bonvit (http://www.bonvit.com.au/dandelion_blend.html). A combination of roasted dandelion root and chicory results in a earthy beverage that many call a substitute for coffee. Similar to my views on carob being a substitute for chocolate, it's best not to think of dandelion root as a substitute but rather flavour all its own.

This is a warm, earthy and slightly tangy brew which I've been enjoying in the evenings.

Ingredients

  • 1 heaped teaspoon of Bonvit roasted dandelion blend (medium ground but you can use any)
  • chopped fresh ginger
  • finely sliced lime or lemon peel with as little of the pith as possible
  • almond, soy or preferred milk (optional)

Method


  • I prefer to brew this with a tea strainer as I don't really like the dandelion root dregs
  • In your preferred tea pot, pour boiling water over the dandelion, ginger and lime/lemon peel
  • Let this brew for a couple of minutes
  • Enjoy with or without your preferred milk and sweeten with honey if you wish

Results

It isn't coffee and when you drink it with that in mind this is a really lovely beverage. Something to be aware of is that if you are using almond or soy milk, if the dandelion is too strong (like if you make really strong coffee) your milk may curdle. It's still okay to drink it just doesn't look so great. Getting the balance can be a bit of an art form - but it's worth it.

Verdict

The lime/lemon peel is a really special touch to this brew. Using the peel means you are getting the essential oils out of the skin which often gets thrown away. This is a winner for those wanting a warm earthy drink in the evening.

A word on dandelion

As children we picked them and made a wish as we blew the ball of faeries in all directions. As adults we might be less inclined to do the same when we know those faeries carry seeds that can create more dandelions all over our lawn. I for one find it difficult to resist.


Be it the firm yellow flower or the round seed head - dandelions make me smile. But it was only in recent years that I learned that this humble 'weed' was packed full of goodness.

The main parts of the dandelion that are used therapeutically are the leaves and the root. The leaves are said to have a diuretic effect and helps to purify the blood. The root is known for its detoxifying benefits or supporting liver function and as a bitter it also stimulates the digestive system. The root can also have a laxative effect on some people.

After a workshop I did with a herb enthusiast I wasn't quite ready to go out into my garden and pick the numerous dandelion scattered through out my lawn and growing up between the cracks of my pavement. Perhaps it's the fact that my dog uses my lawn as her own personal toilet or that my brother has been known to come around when I'm not there and spray my weeds.

Thankfully dandelion leaves and roots can be bought in tea, herb and health food shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment