Sunday 23 June 2013

Experimental breakfast - porridge variation

It is rare that I wake up in the morning and my breakfast hasn't been soaking all night. But this morning I realised I had fallen asleep on the couch the night before and completely forgot to prepare my breakfast for the next day. It was cold (2 degrees Celsius if you want to know) so I knew I wanted something warm. I opened my pantry and started to experiment.

Ingredients

  • Amaranth plant
    1 tbsp millet
  • 1 tbsp cracked buckwheat
  • 1 tbsp amaranth
  • 1 tbsp quinoa flakes
  • 1/2 tbsp shredded organic coconut
  • 1/4 tsp raw honey
  • 1 tsp raw cocao nibs
  • 1 small banana mashed
  • 2 drops vanilla essence
  • Boiling water
  • Ground cinnamon for garnish


Method

  • In a small saucepan, bring to the boil, 1 1/2 cups of boiling water, millet, cracked buckwheat, amaranth, coconut, honey and vanilla. 
  • Cover and simmer for 10 minutes (add more water if needed)
  • Add banana, cocao nibs and quinoa flakes, simmer for another 5-8 minutes stirring occasionally and adding water as needed.
  • Serve and sprinkle with cinnamon and cocao nibs

Result

This will not be winning any awards for looks but it makes up for it with the lots of flavours and lots of textures. I could taste the goodness in every mouthful and I enjoyed the earthy chocolaty flavour of the cocao nibs.

Verdict

It obviously takes a little while to cook so it wouldn't be my choice for breakfast on a work day. From a texture perspective I think next time I would ditch the coconut. It might have been nice to have some sort of milkiness added such as almond or soy. Having said that, I love that this has so many different grains/seeds.


No comments:

Post a Comment